THE FILMS OF MARTIN SCORSESE
JOURNEY THROUGH THE DARKNESS
This course consists of:
A 53-minute mp3 audio course
A 4-page pdf booklet
In this audio course, Annette will take you on a journey through some of the deepest themes and motifs in the films of Martin Scorsese. She will use as her point of departure films such as Shutter Island, Casino, Cape Fear, The Departed and Gangs of New York.
Among other things you will learn
- Why is it necessary for all of us to journey into the darkness?
- How can Scorsese's films help us do that and why?
- What is a mythological work and what does it consist of?
- What is the purpose of all the pain that Scorsese's characters have to go through?
- Why do so many of his works concern the troubled relationship between two men?
- How are Scorsese's films mirrors, and what can they teach us about ourselves?
This audio course is the first of a two-part lecture that Annette gave at the European Film College. The second part, The Journey Through the Darkness: The Films of David Lynch, can be purchased separately very shortly. Each audio course functions on it's own and you can just listen to it separately, or you can listen to the combination of the two for the full benefit.